After brief times under other names, the township incorporated as Abington in 1704.The town's name is likely taken from parishes in England formed over 900 years ago in Northamptonshire or Cambridgeshire.
The population was 55,310 as of the 2010 census, making it the second most populous township in Montgomery County (following Lower Merion Township).
The population density is 3603.3 per square mile, making it the second most densely populated township in Montgomery County (following Cheltenham Township).
SEPTA provides bus service to Abington Township along City Bus Routes 22, 24, 28, 55, 77, 80, 88, 310, and 311 and Suburban Bus Route 95, serving area shopping centers, hospitals, and employers, along with offering connections to Philadelphia and other suburbs.
Fullington Trailways provides intercity bus service to Abington Township along a route running between the Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal in Philadelphia and Williamsport, serving several places in northern Pennsylvania.
Fullington Trailways buses stop along PA 611 at Baeder Road.