Fort Mott, Fort Mott State Park 454 Fort Mott Road Pennsville, NJ 08070 (856) 935-3218 Fort Mott was part of a coastal defense system designed for the Delaware River in the late 1800's.The fortifications seen today at Fort Mott were erected in 1896 in anticipation of the Spanish-American War.The first known lighthouse at Cape May was built in 1823, but had to be moved. From 1892 through 1954, the CRRNJ Terminal stood with the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to unfold one of this nation's most dramatic stories: the immigration of northern, southern and eastern Europeans, among others, into the United States.
Most of the old canal system remains intact today and is a reminder of the days when the delivery of freight depended upon a team of mules or steam tugboats.
Nearly 36 miles of the main canal and 22 miles of the feeder canal still exist, with many historic structures along the canal.
Built about 1750, Boxwood Hall became the residence of Elias Boudinot, president of the Continental Congress that ratified the Peace Treaty with Great Britain.
George Washington visited his friend Boudinot in 1789 on his way to New York for his first inauguration.
They hold many special events throughout the year, including special group tours and even sleepover opportunities.